Dear OSUM Congregation:
Due to the large increase in COVID-19 cases in Calhoun county and surrounding
counties, we will not be having in-person Sunday School or worship this Sunday,
November 8th . The Zoom training event on Nov. 7th also will be postponed to a later
date. As I mentioned last Sunday, we are assessing the risks week by week, so I will
send out a similar email next week after the task force looks at the numbers again.
You can join our virtual service in any of these ways:
● By phone by dialing 1-312-626-6799 and entering the meeting ID when
prompted: 392 046 8926
● Through Facebook (even if you don’t have an account!) at this link:
We will also have a Zoom Coffee Hour from 11am-12pm by clicking this link: https://zoom.us/j/3920468926 and entering passcode 4316.
Follow either of the first two options above to join in a time of connecting with one
Other things we will do in this time:
● PRAY: “ Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances;
for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.” 1 Thess. 5:16-18, NRSV.
Though we long to be together in person, we can still gather our voices together
as we pray for one another, for our community, and for all the world. You can
also submit prayer requests on our website.
○ PRAYER SHAWLS: Prayer Shawls are available to anyone in need of a
prayerful embrace. Please call Pastor Laurel at 515-428-0454 if you need
one for yourself and/or a loved one.
● GIVE: The UMW will still have their Thank Offering and Noisy Offering this week.
You may contribute to these offerings (and the general offering) in any of these
○ ONLINE OFFERING: Go to http://www.oursaviorumc.org/ and click “Give
Securely Online. In addition to the general offering, you may also choose
an amount to donate to the Thank Offering and/or Noisy Offering by
typing in the box how you would like your offering distributed.
○ MAIL OFFERING: You can mail in your offering with an indication in the
memo line or in a note how you would like your offering distributed.
○ DROP-OFF OFFERING: We will have a contactless drop-off for offering
just inside the east church doors (by the gravel parking lot) on Thursday
from 9am-1pm, as well as Sunday from 12pm-1pm.
● CHARGE CONFERENCE:
○ We will hold Charge Conference on November 8th at 6:30pm inside the
sanctuary, with one person/household per open pew. If you are not part
of the Ad Council and/or if you are a high-risk individual, you may watch
Charge Conference from home on this link: https://zoom.us/j/2829637368
● SMALL GROUPS
○ Per the Iowa Conference, “Church councils, finance teams, staff parish
relations, trustees, and other administrative/operational leadership teams
might consider meeting in person while wearing masks and maintaining
physical distancing of 6-10 feet. However, we strongly encourage
continuing meetings online.”
○ If a group is unable to meet with masks and with 6-10 feet of distance
between each person, the group should not meet inside the church.
“But will God really live on earth? Why, even the highest heavens cannot contain
you. How much less this Temple I have built! Nevertheless, listen to my prayer
and my plea, O Lord my God. Hear the cry and the prayer that your servant is
making to you today.” 1 Kings 8:27-28, NLT
Solomon’s cry in these verses reminds us that God is beyond all walls, and yet God
hears us where we are and knows us by name. God has not abandoned God’s people,
and God has filled us with the wisdom and love to care for those who are vulnerable in
our community. May we receive these words from Solomon and allow them to comfort
us as we go into the days ahead.
May the grace and peace of Jesus Christ be with you today, and always!
Together in Christ’s name,
You may reach Pastor Laurel at:
515-428-0454 (call or text)